It seems the incidence of certain chronic diseases in cats and dogs has risen dramatically during the last five years, according to Banfield Pet Hospital’s State of Pet Health 2012 Report. Here are some key findings:
• In the past five years, obesity has increased 37% in dogs and 90% in cats.
• 76% of dog owners and 69% of cat owners believe their pet is just the right weight.
• Kidney disease is seven times as common in cats as it is in dogs.
• Arthritis has increased dramatically in the past five years – 38% in dogs and 67% in cats.
• 68% of dog owners and 73% of cat owners are not aware that weight gain and arthritis are linked.
For the full report, visit stateofpethealth.com